The New Primary Curriculum was introduced in September 2014 and since September 2015, all children, at St Anne’s, have followed this new curriculum. We’re committed to delivering a curriculum which will inspire, nurture and develop our pupils into confident, independent citizens and life-long learners.
We provide a broad and rich curriculum through a Topic based approach. Topics are introduced with stimulating experiences and learning is exciting and fun. Our topic subjects include:
- Maths we use the White Rose Hub materials to ensure fluency, reasoning and problem solving are introduced in an exciting and “easy to learn” way. The children are happily involved in “hooks” and practical methods that support their written calculation methods.
- Science is a fun and interactive with a topic based approach.
- English is book based, using excellent children’s books to stimulate learning in reading but also in speaking and listening, grammar and other areas of writing. Phonics also plays an important part of our children’s learning with teaching of phonics being done daily in small groups.
- Our Topic subjects include Geography, History, Music, Art, DT.
- PE follows the National Curriculum and is taught by specialist coaches as well as the class teachers.
All knowledge and skills are based on the National curriculum.
We follow the Blackburn Diocese plan for RE. This includes an element of understanding other faiths. Respect for others is a fundamental part of this teaching.
We also take time to help the children learn how to behave and how to self regulate their behaviour. This is done through SEAL (Social, Emotional Aspects of Learning) and circle time.
This year all schools nationally are starting to teach the new PSHE curriculum. We are following the SCARFE plans and resources on the Coram Life Web Site. These excellent resources will support the children’s learning whilst bringing the curriculum in line with national requirements. More details can be found on the SCARF website.