The New Primary Curriculum was introduced in September 2014 and since September 2015, all children, at St Anne’s, have followed this new curriculum. We’re committed to delivering a curriculum which will inspire, nurture and develop our pupils into confident, independent citizens and life-long learners.
- In Maths we use the White Rose Hub materials to ensure fluency, reasoning and oroblem solving are introduced in an exciting and “easy to learn” way. The children are happily involved in “hooks” and practical methods that support their written calculation methods.
- Science is a fun and interactive with a topic based approach.
- English is book based, using excellent children’s books to stimulate learning in reading but also in speaking and listening, grammar and other areas of writing. Phonics also plays an important part of our children’s learning with teaching of phonics being done daily in small groups.
- Our Topic subjects include Geography, History, Music, Art, DT.
- PE follows the National Curriculum and is taught by specialist coaches as well as the class teachers.
We follow the Blackburn Diocese plan for RE. This includes an element of understanding other faiths. Respect for others is a fundamental part of this teaching.
We also take time to help the children learn how to behave and how to self regulate their behaviour. This is done through SEAL (Social, Emotional Aspects of Learning) and circle time. We are developing our understanding of mental health, along with the children and use mindfulness to help the children develop an awareness and some control of their mental well being.